Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pasture-- poem by Mary Oliver

Insinuate yourself: loving your neighbors. Gossip about your abundances of friends and fresh food. Write poems to strangers and celebrate the rugged wilderness of our hearts opening up to this new day.

Poem from Mary Oliver for my friend Pete who wanted a poem about the importance of snow in May while he bikes across Nevada.

In the Pasture

On the first day of snow, when the white curtain of winter
began to stream down,
the house where I lived grew distant
and at first it seemed imperative to hurry home.
But later, not much later, I began to see
that soft snowbound house as I would remember it,
and I would linger a long time in the pasture,
turning in circles, staring
at all the crisp, exciting, snow-filled roads
that led away.

by Mary Oliver

No comments: