Sunday, March 19, 2006

My Contribution to Climate Change: Traveling

We need to begin a rapid shift away from petrol to reduce Carbon Dioxide (CO2) levels in the US. We Americans make up 5% of the world's population, and contribute 25% of the CO2.

I have been thinking of ways to change my CO2 exhaust, and figured a good starting point would be to simply calculate it.

I flew back to Boston from Seattle on business, then rented a car and drove to see my family in Vermont last week. We stayed at a downtown hotel, I took the Boston T or walked everywhere in Boston.

I found a site to help me figure out travel costs in CO2 --just to see what my contribution to climate change was in 8 days.

The site I used is from Native Energy -- see link below.

Seattle to Boston

Your travel CO2 emissions results

Auto Travel: 453 lbs CO2 0.2 Tons CO2

Air Travel: 3105 lbs CO2 1.6 Tons CO2

Rail Travel: 0 lbs CO2 0 Tons CO2

Bus Travel: 8 lbs CO2 0 Tons CO2

Accommodations: 282 lbs CO2 0.1 Tons CO2

Total: 3847 lbs CO2 2 Tons CO2

Stunning!

Calculator at Native Energy

No comments: